Earn extra money, and get to know interesting people from all over the world!
Make extra money from your spare room
Becoming a homestay host with Britannia is one of the best ways to make extra money from your spare room. We help accommodate thousands of international guests every year in homestays all across London. Guests range from English language students to leisure and business travelers who prefer to stay in a London home (rather than a hostel or hotel) and experience local culture whilst visiting the city.
Benefits of hosting
- Good rates of pay
- Bookings to suit your schedule
- Year round income
- Flexible short or long stays
- On-going assistance and advice
- 24-hour emergency helpline
What do I need to be a host?
Our hosts come from many different walks of life, but they all share a common interest in accommodating guests in a warm and welcoming environment. By recruiting the best homestay hosts in London, we can offer a fantastic service to everyone who books accommodation through Britannia, and this in turn means more bookings for our hosts!
- A clean, comfortable, well equipped home
- A friendly, welcoming atmosphere
- Bedroom(s) of a suitable size (more than 6.5 square metres) furnished with a full size bed (not futon or folding bed), wardrobe, drawers, desk, chair and lamp
- Free internet and TV access
- Weekly cleaning and towel and bedlinen change
- Free laundry facilities (minimum one dark and one light wash per week)
- Meals (breakfast and/or dinner) if you would like to provide them
- Access to a living room
How much will I get paid?
The amount of money you can receive will depend on a number of factors such as the type of room(s) you have, the area you live in and whether you’re willing to offer meals. Hosts taking twin bookings in certain areas can earn up to £280 a week (on breakfast and dinner basis). We will confirm your rate with you after your assessment.
How do I sign up?
Simply click on Sign Up Now and fill in our online form (you can also call our office on +44 (0)20 7436 7738), and one of our friendly team will contact you to arrange a visit to your home. Our accommodation assessor will view the room(s) you want to use, take some photos and discuss the hosting process in more detail. We will then review the the assessor’s notes and (subject to suitability and demand) will start placing guests with you.
How long does it take?
We will contact you soon after you have submitted the sign up form and let you know how long it will be before we can visit you. Some areas, such as those in Zone 2, are in higher demand than those further out of London, so the amount of time it will take before we can assess you may vary. On average it takes around 2 to 3 weeks to be processed and approved as a new host.